In a country obsessed with cricket, it is time for our national game. Hockey.For the first time, India ended its 49 year waiting period at the Olympics by qualifying for a semi final after 3-1 win over Britain in the quarter final at Tokyo 2020.
History has been rewritten in Tokyo as India have qualified for the men’s hockey semifinal at the Olympics for the first time since the 1972 Games. This is also India’s first win over Great Britain on astro-turf at the Olympics. It’s also the first time India have made it to the final 4 since their Goldmedal-winning run in 1980.
Vibes of India introduces you to our hockey team that is participating in the Olympics at Japan.
P. R. SREEJESH
HARMANPREET SINGH, RUPINDER PAL SINGH, SURENDER KUMAR, AMIT ROHIDAS, BIRENDRA LAKRA
HARDIK SINGH, MANPREET SINGH, VIVEK SAGAR PRASAD, NILAKANTA SHARMA, SUMIT
SHAMSHER SINGH, DILPREET SINGH, GURJANT SINGH, LALIT KUMAR UPADHYAY, MANDEEP SINGH
Though present day Indians are not very acquainted with our hockey history and hockey has a sport has been on a decline with allegations of even it being neglected by the Government, it is important to note that
India was the first non-European team to be a part of the International Hockey Federation.
In 1928, the team won its first Olympic gold medal and until 1960, the Indian men’s team remained unbeaten in the Olympics, winning six gold medals in a row. The team had a 30–0 winning streak during this time, from their first game until losing in the 1960 gold medal final. India also won the World Cup in 1975. India’s hockey team is the most successful team ever in the Olympics, having won eight gold medals. India emerged as champions at the games in 1928, 1932, 1936, 1948, 1952, 1956, 1964, 1980. India also has the best overall performance in Olympic history with 77 victories out of the 126 matches played. They have also scored the most goals in the Olympics than any other team. They are also the only team to ever win the Olympics without conceding a single goal in 1928 and 1956.
However, after 1980, today that is 2021 is the most glorious moment for India when its hockey team has reached the semi-finals. Now, India will play its semi-finals with Belgium, the existing world Olympic champion.
some interesting facts about our current hockey team.
- The Indian Hockey team at Japan , Tokyo Olympics is led by Manpreet Singh.
Manpreet is employed with Punjab police. The 29 year old Manpreet has been the captain of India men’s national field hockey team since May 2017. He plays as a halfback. He first played for India in 2011 at the age of 19.
- Outstanding hockey players that have taken India to the semi finals include Manpreet, Dilpreet , Gurmant and Hardik Singh. This is the first time India has sealed its place in the Olympics for the semi finals since 1972.
- With an unprecedented eight gold medals in its kitty, Indian hockey has a rich history at the Olympics, but after the Moscow triumph, it has witnessed a downward slump as the past masters of the game registered its best finish — a fifth place — in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics.
- Having failed to qualify for the 2008 Beijing Games and finishing last in the 2016 Rio Olympics, hockey, as a sport in the country went from bad to worse.
- Since taking over the reigns of the side two years ago, Australian Graham Reid has brought a sense of self belief, bonding and confidence among the Indian players, which was lacking as they often used to wilt under pressure despite having the requisite skills to be world beaters.
- The Hockey semi finals will be held on August 3. The finals are on August 5, 2021. Those playing the semi finals include India, Belgium, Australia and Germany.