Congress in Punjab gets a setback once again. Chief of the Punjab Congress, Navjot Singh Sidhu steps down from his post on Tuesday.
His letter to Sonia Gandhi read: “The collapse of a man’s character stems from the compromise corner, I can never compromise on Punjab’s future and the agenda for the welfare of Punjab. Therefore, I hereby resign as the President of Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee. Will continue to serve the Congress.”
Sidhu’s resignation comes at a time when Captain Amarinder Singh is travelling to Delhi and it is believed that he may meet Amit Shah here. It was only after the dispute between Sidhu and Captain Amarinder Singh had left the post of Chief Minister, after which Charanjit Singh Channi became the chief minister of Punjab.
Here we will discuss a few points that may have led to this decision and the after-effects of this decision on the Congress party.
- Sidhu’s move proves what a bad decision it was for Rahul and Priyanka to have trusted him in the first place. Without consulting senior members of the party, why was Sidhu given undue importance?
- Congress has once again proven how their Bari culture influences their decision-making. Navjot kept good relations with Gandhis’, Amarinder didn’t.
- Congress has made an enemy out of someone as credible as Captain Amarinder Singh while trusting someone as unreliable as Navjot Sidhu. But today, it is Captain Amarinder who has the last laugh in this non-stop tamasha. He has the moral pleasure to see Punjab Congress fall apart.
- Punjab Minister Razia Sultana resigned from the Cabinet just hours after Navjot Singh Sidhu. Gandhis’ did not foresee this implosion and that is a disturbing commentary on their ability to forestall crises like this.
- To make sense of Punjab Congress’ mess, one can point out that this totally ruins any credibility in Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi’s decision making and crises management.
- This shows that the high command in the party is super weak with leaders doing as they please. This only happens in the absence of an iron crib.
- Congress once again proves it simply can’t get up from the disasters of 2014 and 2019 and remains in the state of shock.
Here, one also speculates if there could be any role of Prashant Kishor in this entire episode because all said and done PK Kishor’s proximity with PM Modi has always been much more than his alliances with Congress or Mamta Banerjee’s TMC.