Serves: 3-4 Persons
- 2 cups Basmati Rice (soaked in water for an hour, then drained)
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 6-7 Garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2-3 Green Onions (finely chopped – Green and White parts separated)
- 1 cup Red or Black Beans (Rajma- Soaked overnight)
- 1/3 cup Corn Niblets
- 1/4 Black Olives (sliced)
- 1 cup Green & Red Bell Peppers (diced)
- 1 cup Mexican Taco Sauce (separate recipe)
- 1 tbsp Hot Chilli Sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- Salt as per taste
- 5-6 ripe Tomatoes (boiled)
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper Powder or Spicy Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
Method for Taco Sauce:
Boil tomatoes and remove the skin.
Blend all the ingredients of taco sauce with boiled tomatoes in a mixer.
Strain the sauce into a bowl.
Note: Add1/2 tsp white vinegar to preserve for later use
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil with little oil in it. Add the drained rice and cook about 8-9 minutes, again until the rice is about 80-90 % done. Drain and wash it with cold water. Sprinkle little oil on it and mix well so that the rice doesn’t get sticky.
- Spread the rice in a large plate in as thin a layer as possible and set aside for at least 15-20 minutes or even more if possible. The rice should cool down thoroughly.
- Heat the wok over very high heat. Pour in the oil along the sides of the pan.
- Immediately add the garlic and the white part of the green onions. Sauté for a minute.
- Add boiled red beans, corn, bell peppers & black olives. Sauté for a minute or two on high flame.
- Then add in taco sauce, hot sauce & little salt. (The mix should be little salty as we are going to add rice to it.)
- Mix them quickly and let it boil for couple of minutes.
- Add the rice and reduce the heat. Mix it softly so the rice does not break.
- After two minutes, taste the rice and add ground black pepper and more salt if needed. Add in half of Green Onions.
- Mix thoroughly, turn off the heat, garnish with remaining Green Onions