Poisoning Kills Over 100 Cows In Gujarat’s Sabarkantha District

| Updated: March 16, 2022 8:48 pm

Congress legislator Rajendrasinh Thakor said the fodder got poisoned after it was stored for more than 24 hours and that led to the death of the cows.

There seems to be no end to the plight of abandoned cows in cow shelters  across the country. The Gujarat government recently informed the state assembly that over 116 cows died due to fodder poisoning in Idar area in Sabarkantha district. The animal deaths took place around a fortnight ago.

The matter was raised by Congress legislator Rajendrasinh Thakor who said the animals died after consuming maize, also used as green fodder. Thakor said that the fodder got poisoned after it was stored for more than 24 hours.

The MLA said that the green fodder was stored for more than 24 hours which caused the poisoning. The legislator questioned whether any action was taken against officials in connection with the incident.”At least 101 cattle died on the spot while 15 others died during preliminary treatment,” the report quoted Raghavji Patel, Cabinet minister for agriculture and animal husbandry as saying.

The deceased cattle included cows, bulls and calves. According to the minister, 114 cows were saved with the help of primary treatment on March 2. The autopsy report of the cattle shows that three of the cows indicated poisoning caused by green fodder.

The minister told the assembly that Rs 2.68 crore was provided to panjrapole (cow shelter) for the upkeep of animals.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *