The music industry now mourns another loss after Lata Mangeshkar as it loses the pioneer of disco-dance Bappi Lahiri. After battling multiple health issues and being admitted in the hospital for over a month, he died at the age of 69. The reason of the death is OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea).
We have collated a list of a few things that very few people know about him:
- Bappa Lahiri is considered to be the pioneer of synchronized music in Indian cinema.
- Bappi Da was born into a Bengali Brahmin family in Jalpaiguri, West Bengal. His father Aparesh Lahiri and mother Bansuri Lahiri were both singers. Buppi was their only child.
- The great singer Kishore Kumar happens to be his distant mama.
- At just 3 years old, Bappi Dae started learning tabla. His parents were teaching him.
- Bappi Dani’s first Bengali film as a musician was Dadu (1974). In which he sang a song with Lata Mangeshkar.
- He first composed music for the Hindi film Nanha Shikari in 1973.
- Bappi Lahiri became famous in 1975 with Tahir Hussain’s Hindi film Zakhmi.
- Very few people know that the famous ghazal ‘Kisi najar ko tera intejar aaj bhi hai ..’ was composed by Bappi Lahiri. He composed this ghazal for the 1985 film Aitbar.
Bappi Lahiri was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 9.63th Filmfare Awards.
- In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Bappi Lahiri had registered his candidature on a BJP ticket from the Shrirampur seat in West Bengal. However he was defeated.