Two labourers lost their lives due to the negligence of the contractor in Surat, two labourers who had fallen into the sewer during the work of giving a sewer connection to the ditch well of the SVNIT campus at Ichhanath in Surat city. While the contractor, who had unloaded the labourers in the sewer without safety, has also been admitted to the hospital immediately after he was hit by the gas during the work of the toxic sewer line.
Due to the contractor’s negligence, two workers died in Surat after they fell into the sewage while working to connect the SVNIT campus’ ditch well at Ichhanath to the city’s sewer system. Additionally, the contractor, who had unloaded the labourers in the sewer without safety, has also been admitted to the hospital immediately after he was hit by the gas during the work of the toxic sewer line.
This morning, workers were called to install a sewer line in the SVNIT trench well. Then one of the two labourers got down to work on the sewer line. After some time, the worker did not come out, the contractor Shravan sent the other worker downstairs to see in the gutter. While the contractor Shravan also went to the sewer line, the two were found unconscious. Fire brigade personnel rushed to the spot and brought out the trio. He was taken to the New Civil Hospital by ambulance, where Satyam and Qadir died and contractor Shravan is currently undergoing treatment at the New Civil Hospital. Doctors said his condition was also critical.
According to other labourers who rushed to the Civil Hospital after the incident, the contractor had dropped the workers in the gutter without any safety where earlier a young man had landed in the gutter and he did not come out for a long time.
Mayor Hemali Bodhawala also came to the New Civil Hospital after learning about the incident. They consoled the family members of the deceased. Umra police have registered a case and further investigation is underway.