In Ahmedabad, the pedestrian-only Atal Bridge, which bears the name of the late Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, will soon be officially opened by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The foot over bridge will connect the Sabarmati Riverfront flower garden on the western side and the future arts and culture centre on the eastern end.
According to the sources, the Atal bridge will provide connectivity to multi-level parking and diverse public projects on East and West Bank from the plaza between Flower Park and Event Ground on West Bank to the projected Art / Cultural / Exhibition Centre on East Bank.
PM Modi will officially inaugurate the bridge on the first day of his two-day Gujarat visit.
More features of the bridge are:
- The 300-meter-long bridge has LED lighting and an attractive appearance.
- The bridge’s objective is so that users can access it from both the lower and higher riverfront walkways or promenades.
- This bridge allows cyclists to cross the Sabarmati River.
- People can now see the riverfront from the centre of the water body.
- The foot over bridge construction required 2,600 metric tonnes of steel pipes. Glass and stainless steel make up the railing, and colourful cloth covers the ceiling.