Senior Judge of Karnataka High Court is likely to be appointed as the Chief Justice of Gujarat. According to sources, a three-member Supreme Court collegium led by Chief Justice of India NV Ramana has recommended the elevation of eight judges as Chief Justices of various High Courts at one go—the idea is to fill up vacancies at one go.
On September 4, the Chief Justice of India had said during an event that he has endeavoured to address the issue of vacancies in the higher judiciary on an “urgent basis” and noted that due to the collective efforts, the vacancy in the top court is now reduced to just one. He expected that 90 per cent of vacancies in High Courts would be filled.
Justice RM Chhaya had taken charge as the acting Chief Justice at the Gujarat High Court following the retirement of the acting Chief Justice Vineet Kothari. She was appointed on September 3. Exercising his powers conferred by Article 223 of the Constitution of India, the President appointed the Acting Chief Justice for the High Courts of Telangana, Gujarat, Sikkim and Karnataka.
Who is Aravind Kumar?
Born on July 14, 1962, Kumar is currently a judge in Karnataka High Court. He enrolled as an advocate in 1987 and was appearing in Civil Courts, Magistrate Courts, Appellate Tribunals for about four years and shifted practice to High Court. He was appointed as Additional Central Government Standing Counsel at the High Court of Karnataka in the year 1999. He was appointed as a Member of the Regional Direct Taxes Advisory Committee in 2002. He also practised Taxation and was appointed as Standing Counsel for Income Tax Department.
He was elevated as Additional Judge, High Court of Karnataka on June 26, 2009, and as permanent Judge on December 7, 2012.
Landmark judgements by Karnataka HC
August 27, 2021: The Karnataka High Court directed the State government to realistically estimate the oxygen requirement in time, for a possible third wave.
Aug 10, 2021: Karnataka High Court requested the Centre to give 35 lac vaccine doses per week.
June 17, 2021: Karnataka High Court decides on free treatment to Mucormycosis patients
May 21, 2021: Karnataka HC slams politicians PIL on Covid relief. Asks ‘What have you done for the Public? Have you set up oxygen plants? Provided beds?
The eight judges likely to be elevated as Chief Justices of various High Courts are:
1) Justice Rajesh Bindal: currently Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court; elevated to Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court
2) Justice Prakash Srivastava: currently Judge in Madhya Pradesh High Court, elevated to Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court
3) Justice Prashant Kumar Mishra: currently Judge in Chhattisgarh High Court, elevated to Chief Justice of Andhra Pradesh High Court
4) Justice Ritu Raj Awasthi: currently Judge in Allahabad High Court, elevated to Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court
5) Justice Satish Chandra Sharma: currently, Judge in Karnataka High Court, elevated to Chief Justice of Telangana High Court
6) Justice Ranjit V. More: currently, Judge in Meghalaya High Court elevated to Chief Justice of Meghalaya High Court
7) Justice Aravind Kumar: currently Judge in Karnataka High Court, elevated to Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court
8) Justice R. V. Malimath: currently, Judge in Karnataka High Court elevated to Chief Justice Of Madhya Pradesh High Court
Current Chief Justices of High Courts who will be transferred:
1) Justice Akil Qureshi
From Tripura to Rajasthan
2) Justice Arup Kumar Goswami