Food safety and hygeine practises in India have often come under scanner. Now, popular food chain Gwalia of Gujarat is under criticism after a person found cockroach in his food.
A social media outcry erupted when a young man shared his horrifying experience at a popular food chain located in Ahmedabad’s Thaltej neighborhood. In his post, he lamented the appalling discovery of a cockroach in the sambar he had ordered, sparking concerns over food safety and hygiene practices.
Unfortunately, cases of food contamination and unhygienic conditions in kitchens have plagued the hospitality industry in Ahmedabad. These incidents continue to raise alarming questions about the standards maintained by renowned establishments. Recently, another distressing incident unfolded on the auspicious evening of the Rath Yatra, as a family dining at Gwalia Sweets encountered cockroaches emerging from their Mysore Masala Dosa Sambar, prompting them to promptly return the dish.
In response to the incident, Gwalia Sweets reached out via email, acknowledging their mistake and offering a sincere apology. The matter has since caught the attention of the food department of the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC), with the department’s head taking personal interest in investigating the complaint. Prompt action is being sought to address the concerns raised by the social media post and to ensure such incidents are prevented in the future.
While conversing with Vibes of India, Gwalia Sweet Shop Manager, Abhishek Kumar, stated that, “This incident is true, and we are deeply sorry for it. Gwalia has sent an apology email to the customer. Such an incident has never occurred in our store before; this is the first time that such an incident has happened. There are lights installed near every table, which are usually turned on due to the rainy weather, attracting insects around the light. It may be possible that due to these reasons, insects got trapped in the food. We pay great attention to hygiene in the shop. While such incidents may occur in a larger store, they are not possible in our case. After the customer raised this issue with the staff’s attention, our staff immediately apologized and replaced their order. Later, when the corporation’s team came for the sample, we provided full support to the team conducting the sample test.”
This incident serves as a stark reminder of the pressing need for stringent hygiene regulations and regular inspections within the food industry. It is crucial for establishments to prioritize the health and safety of their customers by maintaining impeccable standards. The onus lies not only on the individual businesses but also on regulatory bodies to ensure the enforcement of stringent protocols that safeguard public health.
The incident at Gwalia Sweets has ignited a broader conversation about food safety practices in Ahmedabad. It is hoped that through thorough investigation, corrective measures can be implemented to prevent similar occurrences, thereby restoring trust and ensuring the well-being of consumers in the city.
Read Also: Fake PMO Official Arrested From Gujarat