Acne is one of the most common skin conditions in the world, affecting approximately 85% of teenagers and young adults. The causes can be multifactorial- hormonal, stress, diet, unhealthy lifestyle, using wrong products or not maintaining proper skin hygiene and a skincare regimen.
Acne starts when the pores in your skin get clogged with oil and dead skin cells. The growth of a bacteria known as Propionibacterium acnes or P.acnes aggravates it further.
Acne can grade from blackheads, whiteheads, papules to fully developed pustules, nodules or cystic form. You should consult a Dermatologist for regular and severe and lasting breakouts.
A few things which you can do at home to control acne breakouts are:
1)Change pillow covers regularly.
– At least once in 3 days.
– The bacteria (P.acnes), dirt and sebum present on your face gets collected on the pillow cover.
– By sleeping on the same pillowcase, you re-introduce the bacteria onto your face.
2)Clean your mobile screens regularly.
– Similarly, oil and bacteria from the face and dirt from the environment can get stuck to the mobile screens and cause acne breakout.
3) Avoid Sugar and Dairy products.
– They have high glycemic index and studies prove that they increase sebum/oil production on the face, thus triggering or aggravating acne.
– I know it is difficult to completely remove them from your regular diet.
– So, try to cut them down as much as you possible and avoid completely in the evenings after 6 pm.
4) Use skincare products like cleansers, moisturisers, sunscreens with following labels.
5) Start including few Actives in your daily skincare routine.
– Be it in Cleansers, toners, serums, creams or gels, they will help keep your skin oil and bacteria free and reduce your breakouts.
– Best Actives for Oily- Acne prone skin are: