Bhupendra Patel was sworn in as Gujarat’s 17th Chief Minister on Monday at the Gandhinagar Raj Bhawan a day after he was unanimously selected as the leader of the BJP legislature party on Sunday. BJP known for throwing surprises continued its pattern by announcing Patel, 59, as the position of Chief Minister with just 14 months to go for the Gujarat Assembly polls.
Patel is from the Kadva sub-group of the influential Patidar community and is the first Chief Minister from this community. Party leaders said he ticked most of the boxes for the BJP ahead of the 2022 Assembly elections for which state party chief CR Paatil has set an ambitious target of winning all 182 seats. Unlike Nitin Patel, his lack of experience in politics worked in his favour.
To answer the top five questions on why he was picked over others. Watch the conversation with Deepal Trivedi and find the answers. The questions include:
1. Bhupendra Patel is one of the junior-most MLAs of Gujarat, do you think his inexperience matters?
2. How will Bhupendra Patel help in the perception management of BJP in Gujarat?
3. To date all Patel Chief Ministers of Gujarat belonged to the Leuva Patel community, this is for the first time that Gujarat has a Kadva Patel Chief Minister. Do you think this will pacify Patel?
4. Patel belongs to the business community of Gujarat. Do you think this helps or hinders him as a Chief Minister?
5. Why do you think Nitin Patel, the Chief Minister in line since 2014, did not get his due even this time?
Find answers to the latest in Gujarat politics in the video below.
Deepal your assessment was brilliant