Maharashtra is in political crisis. The richest state in India with country’s financial capital Mumbai is witnessing a major tug-of-war that might result in end game for Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray’s government. The Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA), as the three-way coalition is called, has been jolted by a coup masterminded by Shiv Sena strongman Eknath Shinde.
This is not the first time that the BJP has tried to wrest power in Maharashtra. In a nut-shell, it is as much a power and prestige tussle for the saffron BJP as much as it is a matter of holding on to “Sena Ki Dharti” for the Thackerays. However, political reasons aside, Maharashtra matters.
Top Five Reasons Why Maharashtra Is Important:
1) Maharashtra is the third largest state of India. It holds 19 Rajya Sabha seats and 48 Lok Sabha seats. With an eye on 2024 General Elections, this state is a key player in deciding the eventual poll count
2) This western state, sits on a huge portion of the Deccan Plateau. It is not only blessed with regional treasure troves, but ranks high among agricultural produce of cotton, sugar, peanuts (oil), mangoes and millets. Added, the state boasts a rich income by way of tourist destinations. Be it the glitzy Mumbai, the serene hills stations Mahabaleshwar and Panchgani, the calming Alibaug and Mandwa Beaches, the infinite forts and palaces of the Marathas, the untouched Sindhudurg areas or the many trekking possibilities in the Western Ghats, the state has worked on roads and expressways that make travelling by road a pleasurable experience. Added, hotel and infrastructure are a thriving industry in this progressive state, thus making possible private entrepreneurship.
3) Over time, while Delhi assumed the seat of political power, Maharashtra assumed status as the seat of “financial power.” Mumbai’s Dalal Street decides the fate of the national share market. Most MNCs have their headquarters in Mumbai. The city is known for its high employment ratio and relatedly, high income brackets. Real estate in Maharashtra ranks highest and according to Global Price Index, Mumbai is closing in on the Hong-Kong and New York: “optimal use of small living spaces for over-the-top premium rates.”
4) The state enjoys strategic importance because of its huge coastline on Arabian Sea. Not only is Mumbai a port city, but it is a vantage docking town for a majority sea-routes from manufacturing hub China to the Western world and vice-versa. Plus, it is a major stop on the global air routes. Major airlines have their India base headquartered out of Mumbai.
5) Maharashtra is home to Bollywood. That says it all for a country obsessed with showbiz. Not only does it employ lakhs by way of technicians and crew members, allied professionals such as script writers, photographers, models, event managements companies and make-up artists, Mumbai is the happening place to be.
In short, Mumbai is India’s Maximum City and controlling the state does lend a vantage point to any political party in the game of Indian polity.
Also Read: Shinde Sena Shows Strength, Parades 42 MLAs