Many people don’t use the government’s DigiLocker website to digitally store their important identity documents like PAN or Aadhar cards. But if you’re a passport seeker and intend to get a passport for travelling abroad, you will essentially need the help of DigLocker to sail you through.
A new ruling says that before online submission of passport applications at www.passportindia.gov.in, the applicants must first upload the mandated documents on DigiLocker. The purpose of this move is to minimise the overall processing time with easy and early verification of documents at the Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs), said sources.
This will also no longer necessitate applicants to carry with them a whole fat file of original documents to the PSKs for verification, as the same would already have been uploaded on DigiLocker. The government has now also approved the acceptance of Aadhaar as a document through DigiLocker during online submission of applications. Applicants may complete the document upload process in DigiLocker in the portal itself. From August 5, Aadhaar would be accepted as one of the documents for proof of address or date of birth.
DigiLocker, one of the unique initiatives by the Government of India, envisages to bring a complete transition from the usage of physical documents to the digital uploading of relevant files. This will enhance convenience and save paper. Citizens can access documents at the touch of their fingertips instead of carrying any of the physical documents like Aadhaar, driving licenses, PAN cards and other cards.
To create an account on DigiLocker, you will need to
- Log on to digilocker.gov.in
- On the right side of the page, select the signup link
- Enter your password and all other necessary information, such as your name, birth date, email address, etc.
- An OTP will be sent to your registered phone number
- Select the OTP or fingerprint option to finish the process
- Create a username and password to log in
How To Upload Documents On DigiLocker
- First go to the official website digitallocker.gov.in
- Enter the necessary information and then log in
- To upload your papers to your Digital Locker Account, click on Upload here
- At this point, you must select the files to upload and decide where to save them
- Click the Open button after choosing the files
- The uploaded file’s type can be changed by clicking the select doc type button. The page will then display all of the documents at once
- Click Save after deciding on the document type. The file can be later renamed by the user