Early morning on Thursday Russian President Vladimir Putin announced a war on Ukraine’s eastern region. This part of Ukraine is mostly under control of separatists supported by Russia. In his televised speech the Russian President termed war on Ukraine as an act of self-defense and further stated that his country does not want to occupy Ukraine.He used the terms “de-Nazify” to justify war and asked Ukrainian soldiers to put down their arms and go home. He threatened that outside forces would get an instant answer.
Attacks On Ukrainian Cities:
Residents of the Ukrainian capital Kyiv heard explosions as Russia attacked the military infrastructure of the country. These explosions were heard in Kyiv, Kramatorsk and other parts of the country. The Ukrainian President confirmed the attacks saying that with missile attacks Russia has attacked infrastructure and the army.
Large number of Russian troops and tanks have entered Ukraine at different points of its northern, southern and eastern borders. According to the reports, a military cavalcade has entered from Belarus into Ukraine’s border guard service. As a result of Russian artillery fire there were reports of injuries to border guards of Ukraine. Reports suggest that Russian troops have chosen a sea route to enter the cities of Mariupol and Odesa in South Ukraine.
World Reacts To War:
- US President Joe Biden has vowed that the world will hold Russia accountable for the attack underway in Ukraine.
- UK Prime Minister Borris Johnson has called the Russian invasion as barbaric
- President of France Emmanuel Macron has called the Russian invasion as unfortunate and has vowed that Russia will have to pay for it.
- Italian PM has asked Russia to withdraw without any conditions
- Nato Secretary General called it a reckless attack that puts lives of citizens in danger
- Former President of United States Of America said that Putin took advantage of American weakness
Indian Government’s Reaction:
Indian External Affairs Minister Dr S. Jaishankar said that he had a telephonic discussion with High Representative of the EU for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Josep Borrell Fontelles about how India can contribute in de-escalating the situation in between Russia and Ukraine. He also had a telephonic conversation with the United Kingdom Foreign Secretary.
Opposition Party Reaction:
Rajya Sabha MP of Congress party Shaktisinh Gohil has alleged negligence on the part of the Government as many students are still stuck in Ukraine.