In India, the death anniversary of BR Ambedkar is observed on December 6. On 14 April 1891, the man known as the “Father of the Indian Constitution” was born. Babasaheb is another name for BR Ambedkar. He fought for the social and economic empowerment of India’s Dalit community. He eradicated untouchability and expressed support for gender equality in society. BR Ambedkar fought for justice.
He was one of seven members of the drafting committee who drafted the Indian Constitution during the country’s independence. People of India are observing BR Ambedkar’s death anniversary today. This day is also known as Mahaparinirvan Diwas, which means Nirvana after death or freedom from the cycles of life and death. He was regarded as one of the most important social reformers. He despised the Hindu caste system and criticised it harshly in his book, ‘Annihilation of Caste.’ On October 14, 1956, he embraced Buddhism and converted approximately 5 lakh of his supporters.
Famous Quotes by Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar:
- Caste is not a physical object like a wall of bricks or a line of barbed wire which prevents the Hindus from co-mingling and which has, therefore, to be pulled down. Caste is a notion; it is a state of the mind.
- I measure the progress of a community by the degree of progress which women have achieved.
- Equality may be fiction but nonetheless one must accept it as a governing principle.
- So long as you do not achieve social liberty, whatever freedom is provided by the law is of no avail to you.
- A great man is different from an eminent one in that he is ready to be the servant of the society.