The Chicken Sandwich is a light-filled dish that originated in Europe. However, the Indians eat the chicken sandwich with great pleasure. Every country in the world has its version of the chicken sandwich. Recently, our favourite non-vegetarian dish has come into the political limelight in Gujarat. Thus, Team VOI brings recipes of the winner of the politician choice award, The Chicken Sandwich.
The trend of chicken sandwiches started in the Northern States of India. In Delhi, chicken sandwiches and burgers have been prevalent for years. However, chicken sandwich recipes in India are personalised and vary from kitchen to kitchen.
Grill Chicken Sandwich
We grill the Grill Chicken Sandwich with chicken breasts or chicken wings within bread pieces. It is indeed a go-to snack for the Indian youth. On the other, the Chicken Tikka Sandwich is a choice for spicy lovers. Made with tandoori spices and chicken patty, the Chicken Tikka Sandwich is finger-licking good.
The Grill Chicken Sandwich is a mouthwatering and delicate dish with grilled chicken on a layer of lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise, placed between slices of toasted French Bread. Additionally, we can toss bacon and provolone cheese between the layers.
- two boneless chicken breast
- half cup olive oil
- two tablespoons vinegar
- one lemon
- one tbsp Garlic and Herbs Seasoning Blend
- one teaspoon of ground black pepper
- four sprigs of fresh tulips, chopped
- two tablespoons butter
- two tbsp olive oil
- one tsp garlic powder
- one tsp salt
- six thick slices of French bread
- two tablespoons mayonnaise, or to taste
- four slices tomato
- four lettuce leaves
Firstly, preheat the grill to medium-high heat, and use a fork to poke holes all around the chicken breast. Then, toss the chicken breast, 1/4 cup olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and herb seasoning, ground black pepper, and chopped fresh sprigs in a bowl. Stir to coat the chicken breast. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Then, remove the chicken breast from the marinade, set it aside, and grill the chicken for 10 to 15 minutes on each side, or until the juices run clear. Let it remain like that for 5 minutes. Later, cut Grilled Chicken Breasts in Half.
Melt the butter and add two tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Sprinkle garlic powder and salt over butter and oil. Add the bread slices to the pan and toast until golden brown on one side for about 3 minutes, and then remove the bread slices from the pan.
The next step is to assemble the sandwich. Place a slice of French bread toasted side down on a serving plate. Spread mayonnaise on bread. Then, add a slice of tomato, salt, and ground black pepper to taste, and halved grilled chicken breast and lettuce. Spread with unsweetened mayonnaise on another piece of bread. Lastly, top with a layer of bread.
Team VOI spoke with people in the food business to comprehend their opinion about the dish. Sujal Modi, an owner of a hospitality consultancy firm in Ahmedabad, said, “Until a few years ago, Amdavadis used to eat chicken sandwiches and eggs in secret. But, with time, the culture of eating non-vegetarian sandwiches and burgers has grown across the city. Amdavadis like the concept of chicken inside a sandwich.”
Sujal Modi has shared his recipe with Team VOI.
Spicy Murgh Sandwich
Ingredients: Bread Slice, Red Chilly Powder, Chicken Breast, Turmeric Powder, Butter, Coriander Powder, Oil, Garam Masala Powder, Jeera, Chicken Masala, Onion, Lemon Juice, Tomatoes, Mint coriander chutney, Green Capsicum, Spicy garlic chutney, Red Bell Pepper, Tomato ketchup, Yellow Bell Pepper, Tomatoes, Ginger, Garlic, Green Chillies
- Wash the chicken breasts and marinate in ginger-garlic green chilli paste with a spoonful of curd and one tablespoon of Oil & Keep it aside.
- Shred onions, bell peppers, and capsicum into juliennes and toss them in butter. Keep them aside.
- In a frying pan, take some oil and add Jeera to it.
- When the jeera crackles, add Onions and sauté it.
- Then, add ginger, garlic, and chilly paste to the onions.
- Now add all the dry masalas to it, add a little bit of water and make a semi-dry gravy.
- Then add the marinated chicken breast to the gravy and cook it on a low flame for about 35 minutes.
- Shred the chicken once it cooks properly.
- It is the time when you add the onion, capsicum & bell pepper juliennes to the chicken stuffing you have made and finish with lemon juice.
- Now prepare the bread slices by adding butter and slightly toasting them.
- To one slice, add the mint coriander chutney, and to the another, apply the spicy garlic chutney.
- Then, put the stuffing in between and grill it.
- Serve it with a special sauce which you would prepare using tomato ketchup and mint coriander chutney.
- You may add shredded cheese if you are a cheese lover.
Chefs Share Views
Ahmedabad-based Chef Pranav Joshi from Ahmedabad said, “People prefer indigenous recipes of chicken sandwiches more than foreign ones. Indians also like making it in chicken sauce and barbeque sauce. For us, the chicken sandwich is incomplete without a Desi Tadka. In the coming days, the demand for this dish will increase.”
Chef Amar, a cafe owner, said, “We serve eight different types of Chicken Sandwiches. People of Ahmedabad like experimenting with their taste buds. The trending Coffee Chicken Masala Sandwich is a blockbuster in Pune.” However, food trucks that sell chicken sandwiches are rare in Ahmedabad.