When news of a fourth instalment of The Conjuring came out last year, fans were thrilled. Johnson-McGoldrick would return to pen the script for The Conjuring 4, as well as The Conjuring 2 and The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It.
Now, filmmaker James Wan has disclosed that the fourth instalment of The Conjuring series, starring Ed and Lorraine Warren, may end up being the last one. Although actors Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga have said they will appear in the movie as Ed and Lorraine Warren, the producers haven’t shared anything else.
The Conjuring franchise fans have some information to look forward to according to filmmaker James Wan, who is currently promoting his horror film M3GAN. “Yeah, we are working on it right now. With the Conjuring films, we are very precious about [them]. And so we kind of want to just take our time to make sure we get it right and to make sure the emotion of the Warren stories that we want to tell, and moving into, and potentially wrapping up, we just want to make sure that it’s the right thing, the right story that we’re telling,” he said.
Other information regarding the movie’s cast has not yet been made public. The Nun 2, the eagerly anticipated prequel to the franchise, is presently in production under the direction of The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, directed by Michael Chaves.
This is the second Nun movie in which Taissa Farmiga will reprise her role as Sister Irene. Director James Wan had previously hinted that there would be a scenario in which the characters of the Farmiga sisters (Vera and Taissa Farmiga) cross paths in the same realm. The Nun 2 is set for release on September 8, 2023.