Following an investigation by London police, actor Kevin Spacey has been charged with “a number of sex offences,” including sexual assault against three men. The Oscar-winning actor stands charged with four counts of sexual assault against the men, Rosemary Ainslie, Head of the CPS Special Crime Division, said in a statement, Thursday.
Five charges are being brought against the 62-year-old after a review of Met Police evidence following complaints dating between 2005 and 2013. Three complaints relate to sexual abuse which is alleged to have taken place in London, and one in Gloucestershire. He also faces an additional serious sexual offence charge in London.
The first two charges relate to alleged sexual assaults on a man, now in his 40s, in London in March 2005, while a second alleged victim, a man now in his 30s, is claimed to have been assaulted in London in August 2008. The serious sexual offence charge – causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent – also relates to the second alleged victim.
In November 2017, London’s Old Vic theatre said it had received 20 separate allegations of inappropriate conduct by Kevin Spacey from 20 men who came into contact with him at the theatre, or in connection with it, between 1995 and 2013. Roberto Cavazos, an actor who worked at the Old Vic, where Spacey was artistic director between 2004 and 2015, said in 2017 he had encounters with the Hollywood star at the time “that verged on what you could call harassment.”
The 62-year-old, who won Oscars for best actor in “American Beauty” and best supporting actor in “The Usual Suspects”, has previously denied all accusations of misconduct.